Volunteer in costa rica
Volunteer in Costa Rica. Experience the authentic Costa Rican life by living with a local family and really make a change to a thriving community.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS: All positions are volunteer English teaching positions. Volunteers teach approximately 15-20 hours per week and are responsible for planning their own lessons. Volunteers should have experience teaching EFL/ESL or another subject, an EFL/ESL certification, and/or a degree in education.
Volunteers get room and board in the home of a local family for $150 (US) a month. Room and board includes housing, three meals per day, and basic amenities such as laundry and cleaning. Because we are a community-based, non-profit entity, we cannot provide a salary or stipend for our volunteers.
Living with a local family provides volunteers an opportunity to become part of the local community, experience Costa Rican daily customs and lifestyles, learn Spanish, and participate in a cultural exchange. While your primary role will be teaching English, you will also have the opportunity to develop other projects. In the past, our volunteers have built community gardens, taught dance classes, and formed a children’s choir.
LOCATION: Our community is located in the beautiful Zona de Los Santos, Costa Rica, about two hours south from San Jose (the capitol) in the heart of the coffee growing region of Costa Rica. We are surrounded by beautiful mountains, national forest reserves, and some of the best bird-watching in the world.
WHEN: We are interviewing candidates on a rolling basis. We ask that all volunteers commit to a minimum of three months, but volunteers available for longer stays (6 months or more) are highly preferred and will be given preference.
* Native English Speaker.
* Some knowledge of Spanish.
* Undergraduate or graduate degree in education (or related) and/or ESL/EFL certification and/or 1 year-plus experience lesson planning and teaching English.
* Experience teaching and working with children or teenagers.
* Willingness to integrate with the local community and live with a local host family.
* Must be resourceful, flexible and independent (both in working and living arrangements).
* Commitment to service and volunteerism.
* Should be computer savvy, able to use the internet, Facebook, etc.
VOLUNTEERING: Because we are community-based, there is no fee to volunteer with us nor can we offer a salary or health insurance.
Our program does provide:
* Daily interactions with native Spanish speakers to improve your proficiency in this language.
* Teaching materials.
* Ongoing support from the learning centers’ board members and a director to help meet your needs and resolve any challenges that may arise.
* Transportation from Juan Santamaría airport or your current location in Costa Rica to the community; and from Copey to Juan Santamaría airport on the day of your departure.
* The volunteer is responsible for his/her flight in and out of Costa Rica for the duration of his/her stay, and of buying a traveling insurance that will last for the entirety of their stay.
You will also be required to provide a copy of your criminal record before the interview.